In order to have real election reform I suggest we take the following steps:
- Purge all voter rolls everywhere, requiring everyone who is eligible to re-register.
- Require immediate verification when a motor/voter registration is received by the county (or whatever governmental entity is responsible for registrations).
- eliminate same day registrations. Local and Primary Election days are scheduled. Federal elections are always on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- Require that “snowbirds” be registered at the address the IRS uses for taxes. If they are at their other residence at the time, they can vote absentee.
- Eliminate “provisional” ballots. Every voter registration card should have the registered voter’s name, polling place with address, and all relevant “districts” printed on it. You then have your card that tells you exactly where you need to go to vote.
- Require photo ID. It’s not really that difficult. Most DMV’s will issue a “state photo ID”. And don’t you need one to cash a check anywhere anymore?
- All polling places should be prepared for 100% turnout to minimize the “lengthy line” problem.
- Mail out a sample ballot ahead of the election. Some newspapers print them, but they can be hard to find or incomplete. Also, an undeliverable sample ballot will indicate a problem.
Any more ideas?